MAFTEC™ was developed in the 1980's by Mitsubishi Plastics Inc., for long term, high or cyclic temperature operation. MAFTEC™ "Polycrystalline Alumina Fibers", exhibit excellent thermal stability, resiliency, erosion resistance and mechanical strength at temperatures to 2912°F (1600°C).
MAFTEC™ is a Mullite fiber. Mullite is a stable material that does not change molecularly through the temperature range, up until it melts (3362°F (1850°C). The silica in MAFTEC™ is contained within the structure of Mullite and is not allowed to form free silica. MAFTEC™ fiber diameter averages 5 microns.
• Extremely low shrinkage: 1% at 2552°F (1400°C); 1-1/2% at 2912°F (1600°C)
• Extreme Weight Reduction: lining densities of 8-10#/cu.ft. compared to monolithic of 150-160#/cu.ft.
• Weight and thickness tolerances to ensure value
• Total Thermal Shock Resistance
• Resiliency Performance: to 2372°F (1300°C)
• Service Temperature Range: up to 2912°F (1600°C) continuous
• Installed easily and quickly in all temperature environments